top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What kind of shelter is Hi Tor? Do you euthanize animals?

A:  We are a high-save shelter which means that we do all we can to place every "adoptable" animal that comes through our doors.  We do not have a time limit on an animal's stay, and an adoptable animal will not be euthanized to make room for another. Hi Tor will only euthanize an animal for medical reasons or if they are a danger to humans.These decisions are never made lightly and only after an animal has been thoroughly evaluated and/or all efforts at rehabilitation have failed.

Q:  Are you funded by the state/government?​​

A:  Partially, yes, only about a ¼ of our funding comes from the supported by the county and five towns within Rockland County.  However our biggest source of funding comes from the generous donations of the public.  To make a contribution, please click here.


Q: Where do you spend most of your money?

A: Most of our money is spent on the care of the animals. We spend well over $100,000 in medical bills, plus costs for spay/neuter and medications.


Q: I am dealing with economic hardship. Can I receive free food for my pet?​

A:  Hi Tor currently does not have a pet food program in place, however, there are other organizations in Rockland County that provide assistance with pet food including People To People, and Meals On Wheels. Feel free to call us and we will try to direct you to some help.

Stray or Surrender Animal Questions​

Q: I found an animal. What should I do?
A:  If possible, attempt to confine the animal safely.  If the animal is showing any signs of aggression, DO NOT approach the animal.  It is best to get to a safe location and call your local police department to report the sighting.  If you are in possession of a lost animal, please notify your local police department as well as our shelter at (845) 354-7900.  If it is during off-hours, please leave a detailed message.​

Q:  If I find a stray animal how long will you hold it?

A:  We hold each stray animal for a minimum of seven (7) days to try and find its owner.​  At the end of the seven day hold period, the animal becomes the property of Hi Tor Animal Care Center.

Q:  Do you pick up stray animals?

A:  No.  We do not offer this service.  You must contact your local animal control or police department.​

Clarkstown:  (845) 639-5888​

Haverstraw:  (845) 354-1500

Orangetown:  (845) 359-3700

Ramapo:  (845) 357-2400

Stony Point:  (845) 786-2422


Q:  I can no longer keep my pet. What can I do?

​A:  Surrendering an animal is often a difficult and painful decision.  Many companion animals are given up by their owners because of behavior problems—and in most cases, there are things you can do to change your animal's unwanted behavior.  Before you give up on your pet, please consult a reputable trainer or animal behaviorist for assistance.  We encourage you to call the shelter for a referral.

Depending on the reason for the surrender, it may be ideal for you to find a relative or friend to provide a new home for your pet first.  You can also see the ASPCA's online behavior information for helpful tips.


​You can also call Hi Tor Animal Care Center for help.  We will instruct you on the various options in re-homing your pet.  If you choose to sign the animal over for surrender, please bring the animal to the shelter and fill out a surrender form.  Hi Tor will do everything possible to effectively evaluate and provide temporary shelter, food, water, and, if necessary, medical attention to any animal signed over to our care.  We cannot guarantee placement into a home, but it is with that hope that any adoptable pet will be promoted on our web site, Facebook page, adoption events and publicity campaigns.  Through this exposure, interested applicants can get to know our pets and a suitable match will be made.

Q:  I need someone to take care of my pet while I am away/in the hospital. Can you help me?​

​​A:  No.  Hi Tor Animal Care Center is not a private boarding facility.  We provide temporary shelter to homeless, abandoned, and neglected animals only.  We do, however, have many fine boarding facilities in the area.

Q: My pet has gone missing. Can you help me locate it?​

​A:  We recommend that you call your local police department and they will put you in contact with Animal Control.  It is also advised that you send a recent picture of your pet to   Please include a physical description of your pet, as well as location of last sighting, any instructions on approaching the dog should someone encounter it, and personal contact information.  Photos are also very helpful.

Q:  I think my neighbors are abusing/neglecting their animal, can you help?

​A:  No.  You need to contact a humane agent through the Humane Society or ASPCA.  If the offense is happening right now, you need to call 911.​  ​ ​If you run into trouble, you should call or visit your local police department and ask for their help in enforcing the law. If your local police department is unable to assist, ask your local shelter or animal control agency for advice.

  • Hudson Valley Humane Society  (845) 354-3124

  • SPCA of Westchester (914) 941-2896


Q:  I am interested in adopting the animal that I dropped off.​

A:  Great!  Please visit the shelter and ask to speak with a staff member for assistance.​

Q:  Is there a fee to drop off an animal?

​A:  There is a fee to offset the costs of taking in an animal.  However, as an open-door shelter, no animal is ever refused.

Medical​ Questions

Q:  My pet needs vaccinations. Can I get this done at the shelter?
A:  We only vaccinate animals in our care.  There are three annual rabies clinics offered by the Rockland County Board of Health.  Please call (845) 364-2656 for more information.  In addition, our local pet supply stores may have partnerships with alliances that offer low cost vaccines.

Q:  Do you offer rabies vaccination clinics?

A:  The County does.  Please check our Events page for updates on all upcoming rabies clinics or call (845)364-2656 for more information.​

Q:  I would like to get my pet spayed/neutered. Do you offer any lower cost options?

A:  Currently, we have a monthly mobile unit, T.A.R.A. (The Animal Right Alliance), which comes to the shelter every second Thursday of the month and offers low cost spay/neuter for feral and domestic cats.  Please call us at (845) 354-7900 to make an appointment. T.A.R.A also does low cost spay/neuter for dogs every Tuesday Morning. Please call us at (845) 354-7900 to make an appointment.

Q:  If my pet needs to be euthanized, will you take care of it for me?

A.  Please contact your veterinarian about that.

Donation Questions​

Q:  Do you accept donations of blankets & towels?

A:  YES! We accept all blanket and paper donations. They may be dropped off at any time.  Please see our "Wish List" for some of our other needs.


Q:  My pet passed away and I have leftover food and some other supplies and medications.  Will you accept them?​​

A:  Thank you for asking!  We will gladly accept donations of gently used dog and cat beds, blankets, leashes, collars and toys..  For health and safety reasons, however, we only accept unopened bags of food or treats.  Additionally, we cannot accept any medication that has not been prescribed directly for our pets by a veterinarian.

Q:  A friend/family member passed away and requested that, in lieu of flowers, donations go to Hi Tor.  How do I go about doing this?

A:  Please inform any potential contributors to send their donations to us at the address below.  They should include the name of the person being memorialized as well as the name and address where we can send a proper thank you.

Hi Tor Animal Care Center
65 Firemen’s Memorial Drive
Pomona, NY 10970


Shelter Related Questions 

Q: Are you moving to a new building?

A: We are working on it. There are many steps in moving to a new building including securing land, preparing that land, fundraising to support the construction of a new building or prepare an already existing building with purpose for a shelter. If you are interested in helping Hi Tor to find a new home through helping fund this endeavor, donations are much appreciated. You can mail or drop donations off at the shelter at:

Hi Tor Animal Care Center

65 Fireman's Memorial Drive

Pomona, NY 10970

Make sure to specify that the donation is intended for a funds for a new shelter. 

Q: Why do you not have a washer and dryer?

A: We do not have the room or the proper drainage in this building.

Q: Is Hi Tor now providing service dogs to veterans with disabilities?


bottom of page